How much does it cost to have Breast Reduction Surgery in Sydney?
This article, covers the average price range for Sydney Breast Reduction Surgery. It will also discuss what to look for in your Breast Reduction Surgeon and your surgical quote. This blog will only cover the approximate range of breast reduction costs. For exact costs for your breast reduction procedure it is best to book a private consultation with Dr Drielsma.
Cost of Breast Reduction and Breast Shaping
In Australia there are different surgical techniques or methods used for breast reduction procedures. Further, not all surgeons offer every method, including no-drain options or the Lollipop method favoured by Dr Drielsma. Further the method and surgical approach used will impact your scarring and price range.
A pricing example for the Lollipop (or Le Jour) Breast Reduction procedure would range between $10,000 and $20,000. However this price can vary depending on a wide range of factors. We will discuss the further reasons for price differences below.
Why Do Breast Reduction Costs Vary?
There are a variety of reasons for breast reduction price factors in Sydney. The reason plastic surgery prices differ for breast reduction relates to the following factors:
Who is Performing Your Surgery?
- What is your surgeon’s level of expertise, training and qualifications?
- Does your plastic surgeon have FRACS qualifications and is an experienced surgeon?
- Is your procedure well-planned and customised for natural look shaping and nipple position?
What Does Your Surgeon Include in the Price Estimate or Formal Cost Quote for Breast Reduction
- Is your surgeon using advanced surgical techniques to minimise breast scarring?
- Does your quote include everything or are you going to get hit with unexpected expenses?
- What type of anaesthetic is your surgeon using?
- How will your scars be managed?
When is Your Procedure Being Performed?
- Discuss the timing of your surgery with your doctor and patient care coordinator
- Hospital fees rapidly change
- Medicare rebate criteria also rapidly changes
- Insurance policy classifications are also changing in 2019
Why Are You Having the Procedure?
- Are you having breast reduction for cosmetic reasons?
- Is this breast reduction for medically-indicated health reasons, such as back pain?
Where Are You Having Your Surgery?
- Are you having your surgery safely under general anaesthetic in a private hospital?
- Or are you having awake/twilight anaesthetic in a clinic back room?
How Long Will Your Surgery Take?
- How long will you be in theatre?
- Will you require secondary operations?
Complexity of Your Breast Reduction Surgery
This also takes into account your:
- Existing proportions
- Skin condition
- How complex your overall procedure needs to be in order to achieve good aesthetic results
- If you require nipple lift along with your reduction
- The level of planning and expertise required to perform the correct procedure to reduce ptosis, size, weight and maintain nipple health and balance
The 3 Price Ranges for Sydney Breast Reduction Procedures
Low Cost Breast Reduction Surgery in Sydney
Prices for low cost breast reduction procedures typically range between $8,000 to $10,900 in Sydney. This range of breast surgery generally:
- Is NOT performed in hospital
- Will likely be performed in a clinic or surgery backroom, raising health risks and complications
- Uses twilight anaesthetic rather than general anaesthetic, meaning you will be aware during surgery, also raising health risks and complications
- Performed by non-Plastic Surgeons, usually a general practitioner or another doctor without RACS recognition as an accredited surgeon
- Result in patients experiencing out-of-pocket expenses
- Have non-customised procedures
- Also have limited shaping options, such as not using liposuction or fat grafting to add balance or shaping
Mid-Range Cost Breast Reduction in Sydney
Prices for mid-cost breast reduction typically range from $11,000 to $14,900. This range of breast surgery:
- May or may not have a genuine plastic surgeon performing the procedure – always check their qualifications
- May or may not be performed in a hospital setting or a back room of a clinic (doctor-run “day surgery centres”)
- If your surgeon doesn’t use a hospital setting, it is likely because they don’t have private hospital admitting rights. This is also a major concern should a complication occur that requires hospitalisation for care
- May or may not be fully customised, including asymmetry correction of nipples, breast position, as well as shaping improvements using liposuction
- May or may not also involve post-operative care and recovery aids and scar management
Premium Cost Breast Reduction by a Plastic Surgeon in Sydney
Prices for premium breast reduction surgery performed by a qualified plastic surgeon in Sydney typically range from $15,000 to $22,000. This range of breast surgery includes:
- Surgery performed by a highly-regarded, highly-qualified breast reduction specialist plastic surgeon with full FRAC qualifications
- A surgeon with advanced training and extensive experience
- General anaesthetic provided and monitored by a seasoned anaesthetic team
- Scar minimisation techniques
- Pain management from a FRACS plastic surgeon
- Overnight hospital admittance for patient comfort
- Post-operative garments, post-operative recovery help, and follow up care
The old adage “you get what you pay for” is unfortunately true, even in plastic surgery. It is not worth risking your health or your life to save money. Contact the team at Dr Drielsma’s consultation rooms today for further information or to discuss your breast reduction procedure.